A lesson in communication from Martha Stewart

As a subscriber to Martha Stewart Living, a magazine I thoroughly enjoy, I received an offer to try their new magazine, Blueprint, for free. I sent in the card, assuming I would receive one issue. If I liked it, I would pay the bill. If not, I would pass it along to a friend.

I liked the magazine, but not enough to subscribe. So I shredded the bill that came. It wasn't clear to me that I was supposed to write "Cancel" on the bill and mail it back. I assumed that they wouldn't continue sending the magazine if I didn't pay for it.

Then I received this in the mail:

Ouch! Hadn't they offered me a free copy? What did I do to deserve such a nasty letter? Had I missed 3 or 4 bills? I might have shredded 2, assuming a computer was generating them, but the scolding tone of this is unnecessary and hurts the Martha Stewart brand. If there really is an "A. Edwards," he or she needs a reminder about the importance of a good customer experience.

Tip of the day: Even if you are communicating about a delinquent bill, make sure the tone of your letter or email matches the severity of the situation. People respond to kindness and humor, not chiding.

Technorati Tags: , ,
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...