An Inconvenient Truth on DVD: Pro-earth strategies you can use today

We saw An Inconvenient Truth again last night, which I've posted about here and here. After it was over, I was able to open my laptop and visit their Web site (www.climatecrisis.net). Here's what I was able to do in about 15 minutes, just sitting on my couch.

I used their very cool and easy Carbon Calculator to see how much carbon I am responsible for each year (4.7 tons with my car in the equation, 5.55 tons with my husband's car.) I could also check out how buying a Toyota Prius (something I'm considering) would change that (3.35 tons). Then I went to Native Energy and chose wind power to buy "carbon offsets." This means I'm paying to help build wind power that creates sustainable energy somewhere else, since it's not currently available in San Diego (only $5/month, in our family's case) . I also got additional ideas I can use to save money and use less energy.

I went to the Arbor Day Foundation and bought 50 trees to replant our US forests (you can choose ones for the rainforest, too, or buy actual trees to plant. At $1/tree, what a deal!) Instead of sending holiday cards, or buying gifts people don't need as thank yous, consider having your business send or donate trees instead. Trees take in carbon dioxide, helping the planet breathe and cool down. More trees=less global warming.

What are some other ways your business could take part? You could offer sustainable food in your restaurant or cafeteria, have a solar-powered Web site, or provide organic cotton reusable bags for your conference give-aways or store. (Did you know that it takes 1/3 lb. of chemicals to grow one regular t-shirt? I didn't!)

All businesses use tons of paper. Choose paper that's 100% post-consumer waste (meaning, it's 100% being reused), and find a printer who can use vegetable oil inks. If your business includes travel, budget in carbon offsets to make it climate neutral (you can do this through Native Energy). Put recycled information on all your print pieces as well, to help inform whoever sees it. For more great ideas, see Andrea Learned's post here.

A while back I wrote a post about the impact global warming will have on the wine industry. (The reported response: to grow different kinds of grapes that will do well in a hotter climate. Not very prescient.) Global warming is going to affect all of us in ways we can't even imagine, if we don't act. We can make changes now that will help reduce the trend, it's not inevitable. And, with a water shortage prediction on the front page of my newspaper, can we afford to ignore this any longer? Every business depends on water. Can you afford a water bill that's double or triple what it is now? Or to have your heating and cooling bills triple every year?

We can all be pro-earth in our personal and professional lives, and educate our clients and customers as we go. If you have ideas or resources, please post them in comments or send me an email and I'll add them to a future post.

Tip of the day: Try some of the things I mentioned in this post, or contact green business consultant April Economides at Green Octopus. Tell your customers about all your green business choices and see how you can have a positive impact in your community. Working together, we can solve this.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...