Be sure to listen to this podcast, a 28-minute interview with Ivan Nethercoat, Training & Interpretation Manager, People Engagement Department, for the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds). Nethercoat covers the recent re-branding efforts of the RSPB, including training brand advocates within the organization. He also explains how they are integrating conversational interpretation into the experience at their visitor centers. The RSPB has over a million members, so we can learn a lot from their expertise.
During our conversation he mentions the new video the RSPB did to convey the new brand internally. You can view it here.
He also talks about a UK company called Innocent that uses language in an interesting way. I love it when people look outside their own field for useful examples.
We mentioned two books during the interview, Sam Ham's Environmental Interpretation and Mary Kay Cunningham's The Interpreters Training Manual for Museums. Both are excellent resources. I hear that Sam Ham is due to publish a new edition. I'll keep you posted.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this interview!
Technorati Tags: visitor experience, visitor motivation, RSPB, rebranding, Ivan Nethercoat,
consultant