What went wrong?
I visited this museum in 2004, during the California Ass'n of Museums conference.

Here is the long view, walking in from the parking lot. Feels kind of cold and distant, doesn't it?

While the grounds are beautiful, there's no feeling of connection, almost as if you are visiting a ruin instead of a vibrant, current museum.

Artwork like this sculpture was casually strewn about the gardens. I didn't know what to "do" with works like this as I wandered around. You almost felt like you weren't supposed to be there.

Spaces like this one could have been wonderful, but felt empty. Was it for concerts? Live theater?
One of my companions, a designer, said, "There's no there, there."
My sense is that the museum was built without community involvement or a clear sense of purpose. While beautifully turned out, it didn't connect with visitors. Even the name didn't convey what it was about. While the news story blames their attendance problems on 9/11 and the following recession, which did hurt all leisure destinations that year, COPIA's problem ran deeper. I hope that they take this opportunity to refocus, get community and visitor input, and can move ahead into a successful phase.
Tip of the day: A beautiful building isn't enough. Your business has to have soul and a purpose. Your customers (or visitors) are smart enough to feel the difference.
Technorati Tags: customer experience, customer service, authenticity, museum, visitor experience