Aubrey Rose Tea Room: Hidden treasure in La Mesa, CA

Another fun find during my trip to La Mesa was this charming tea room. I've lived in the area for ten years and had no idea we had a lovely little tea shop like this. I passed by it on the street twice, thinking it was an antique store.

There was no clue from the window display that they actually serve food. It wasn't until I read this sign, tucked into the alcove (only visible from one direction) that maybe it wasn't just an antique shop. I stepped inside.

It's a celebration of Victoriana.

Women and girls were sitting at tables, many in fancy hats, chatting and having high tea.

Every display was lovingly overstuffed in the Victorian style.

Not one false note.

They were doing a bustling business, so perhaps don't need any pointers. But for those of you who might, here are my suggestions.

Tips of the day:
  • Signs flush with the building need to be augmented with ones perpendicular or angled out, so that you catch people's eye both walking and driving.
  • Don't assume that your business name and window display conveys what's inside. Ask potential customers if you're missing anything. (Some vinyl lettering on the window stating "High tea served" with the hours, would have done the trick here.)
  • Keep your Web site up to date. Use themed fonts sparingly, so that Web surfers can easily absorb your information.
Technorati Tags: , , , ,
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...