Report from AAM: wayfinding at McCormick Place

Just returned from Chicago for my book launch at AAM (the American Association of Museums annual conference). McCormick Place is a vast convention center and proved to be a wayfinding challenge. I especially loved this sign. The two holes seem to be the size of a brochure holder, which I hope offered a map of the building. Now it just underscores the problem. [Note to building management: Remove signs like these if you aren't going to maintain them!]

The first session I attended happened to be about wayfinding. I was amused to see that they took it upon themselves to provide their own guidance, as the building's was so poor.

The yellow-brick road was a theme they carried through the presentation, even going so far as to Photoshop their own heads onto characters from the movie in one slide! Bright yellow handouts completed the theming.

Moderator and presenter Jeff Hayward was a visual cue, welcoming people with this fun t-shirt. (The back says "Orientation." It was originally part of a Judy Rand presentation on her Visitor's Bill of Rights.)

Tip of the day: For special events like conference sessions, feel free to add your own short-term wayfinding to help your "customers" (in this case, session attendees) find you. Theming the entire session created a more memorable experience, and helped cement the learning.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...