Lessons from exhibit halls, part 2

In part one of this series, I showed some successful trade show booths from the American Association of Museums conference in Chicago. I just attended NeoConXpress, a design showcase in L.A. In this post I'll show some less-successful examples of booth design (or execution) with the eye to helping you improve your experience. As I'm trying to teach, not embarrass, I've hidden the company names or identifiers.

There is so much happening in this booth that I don't know where to look or what to focus on. The result in a busy exhibit hall? I move on.

This booth is confusing because the King Tut print is a giveaway, having nothing to do with the work this company does.

This booth is felled, not by design, but by the mess the sales rep has created.

It's common to want to stuff as much printed material onto a table as possible. Instead, consider how to make an impact with less. Can you offer these pieces as downloads on your website? Think of the paper, printing, shipping, and waste you would eliminate. (The exception is if you are selling books or pamphlets. but still consider how to reduce clutter.)

This booth is a little cluttered, but the real problem is the table visually blocking access. If you need a surface to work or offer handouts, put it against the side to open up your space.

We've gone from too many messages to no message at all.

Finally, I thought it was amusing that their tag line is "human design," but there is only a dog in the photo.

Tips of the day: Design from across the room. Design walking by. Have one clear message and make sure everything in the booth supports it. Consider what you yourself do with handouts and other giveaways; plan accordingly to eliminate waste and reduce the environmental impact.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...