The art deco facade of this building is lovely, but do I have any idea of what's inside? No.
This facade clearly tells you what to expect: kitschy souvenirs with a nostalgic feel.
Another beautiful facade, but the street-side windows aren't doing their job of inviting people in.
Looking just like a movie location, the Silver Moon Lodge evokes road trips on the venerable Route 66. I know just what to expect inside. (I may choose not to stay there, but the experience looks consistent, which is important.)
Look for the fiberglass octopus, just beyond the street sign. He's holding soaps and brushes in his many arms, a fun icon/advance organizer of the car wash experience.
Tip of the day: Your business needs to speak to people, from half a block away, about what's inside for them. Walk away from your entrance and try to imagine you've never seen it before. Is it welcoming? Is it clear what you offer inside?
This is an excerpt from Creating Great Visitor Experiences: A Handbook for Museums, Parks, Zoos, Gardens, and Libraries to be published next spring by Left Coast Press.
Technorati Tags: customer experience, Route 66, Albuquerque, visitor experience