"Yes, I know your eight steps.
Yes, I know this is bad, bad museum practice... bad practice in general for any business anywhere.

But it's Memorial Day. I don't have enough staff and volunteers to watch these areas and I'm tired of walking through every hour (if I get a chance) and asking people to get out of the water.

Our printer is not working and there's no chance of getting it repaired. Our phones are out so I cannot call another department to use their printer—and they're all out on holiday anyway.
And so I commit the sin. I hand-write the signs and put them up.
At this point it's about MY experience not theirs!"
Dear reader, thanks for sharing. We've all been there, believe me. And I know that visitors will do the craziest things in gardens.
When I look at these signs, (nice handwriting, by the way) my first thought is: this is a design problem. Because the area is an experiential garden, and there are lots of things to touch (and probably things meant to climb) and so it's confusing for the visitors to know which things are off-limits. I'm wondering if there could have been ways to design this to either create clearer barriers or allow the kind of climbing and wading that visitors clearly want to do.
Any designers out there want to comment, for people who are still in the building or planning stage?
Technorati Tags: customer experience, customer service, signage, museum, visitor experience, consultant